Cook Bros. has developed a very straightforward set of steps
to turn your remodeling dream into reality.
Unsurpassed professional, construction management capabilities delivered with our down-to-earth, family-oriented style is what keeps Cook Bros. customers coming back. Our goal is to make every customer feel as if they are our “only” customer.
With over 25 years of experience renovating homes, Cook Bros. is Northern Virginia’s premier residential remodeling Design/Build contractor. We will handle your project with a level of professionalism unparalled in the remodeling industry.
Our in-house design and production staff will work together with you to make sure your project is a success on all levels. We have developed our systems and processes over the past 25 years and are always listening to, and learning from, our clients as to how we might better address their needs and assure their projects run smoothly. What this means for our clients is that our projects come in on time and on budget, with no surprises along the way!
These Four Phases each contain numerous detailed steps. The phases are consecutive but typically overlap.
(Note: e.g. The Project construction phase cannot start before the design phase has completed, however in the Preparation Phase, cabinets can be selected and ordered early, or flooring or siding can be selected and ordered before design is finished.)
- Project Definition Phase
- Project Design Phase
- Project Preparation Phase
- Project Construction Phase
Project Definition Phase
- Site meeting
- In-depth “needs” analysis
- Analysis of zoning or any other physical restrictions on property
- Assessment of the existing systems in the house (HVAC, electrical, plumbing)
- Cost vs. return analysis
- Brainstorming to see how ideas can be addressed—wants vs. needs
- Creation of ballpark estimates for project—pricing broken down so you can see what each portion of the project costs, and how the budget for the project will be affected by different options
Decision to move forward with the project with Cook Bros!
- Definition of the specifications used to build the project
- Locked-in start date
- Measurement of the existing house and creating a virtual model of the existing space
- Development of accurate allowances for products, based on products you select
- Create the design—defining room sizes, layouts, rooflines, and tie-ins to the existing space—all done in a collaborative effort with the homeowner to insure that we are designing the project YOU want
- Visualization tools utilized - including virtual walkthroughs, models and photo-realistic renderings
- Development of a firm-fixed-bid price and detailed specifications
Decision to move confidently forward with the project, with reliable pricing because of the comprehensive ‘due diligence’ that has been performed during this phase = No hidden surprises!
- Definition of the specifications which will be used to build your project
- Contracts written in narrative format, so that all parties know exactly what to expect (i.e. NOT merely a 2 or 3 page document stating something as ambiguous as "the project will be built per plans")
- All details covered in contract, including payment schedule with adequate "retainage" for homeowner to assure project is completed in a timely manner, project start date and duration, and critical path deadlines so that you can plan your time and help the project move forward smoothly
- Development of the working drawings (blueprints) and securing of all necessary county permits
- Job start—every Cook Bros. job is run by a Cook Bros. employee—a working foreman who will be assigned to your project, start to finish, and supervised by our Cook Bros. Production Manager
- All employees have been background screened and we have long-standing relationships with all of our trade partners, so they know what we expect of them on our projects
- Unsurpassed communication—weekly production meetings keep you informed of what to expect from week to week, plus a consistent point of contact with person who ’sold’ you the project, who visits project 3—4 times a week so that the person setting expectations is the same one making sure that they are met/exceeded
- Cook Bros. coordinates all county inspections and trade contractors
- Walkthrough inspection with homeowner to create punch list to make sure job is completed to your satisfaction